1. Do you meet the basic prerequisites?
Admissions are very competitive and you should make sure you have achieved, or will achieve, at least the minimum graduate admission requirements to apply. Satisfying these minimal standards, however, does not guarantee your admission!
a) Eligibility for the master‘s degree program in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
Students seeking admission to the Master’s program shall have a Bachelor’s degree from a German university (at least 180 CP) or an equivalent qualification from a foreign university in computer science, informatics or a related field:
- Mathematics (discrete mathematics, real analysis and multivariable calculus, linear algebra, numerical methods, stochastics, statistics)
- Theoretical informatics (complexity theory, computability)
- Practical informatics (functional and object-oriented programming, data structures and algorithms, databases)
- Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining
b) Necessary language skills
- The teaching language of the Master’s degree program is English.
- Proof of advanced proficiency in English (level C1 of the Common European Framework) must be provided.
- It is not sufficient to state that your courses at a previous university were completed in English.
- Native speakers or applicants, who have studied in a country, where English is the mother tongue are excluded from this rule.
- For German applicants, a basic English course up to the general qualification for university entrance (Abitur) is sufficient.
- Knowledge of German is not needed.
- TOEFL (internet based): min. 95 out of 120
- TOEFL (computer based): min. 240 out of 300
- TOEFL (paper based): min. 540 out of 677
- IELTS (academic test): min. 7.0 out of 9
c) Evidence of particular interest in the subject
Submission of a personal statement written by the applicant and two letters of recommendation written by referees who know the applicant academically (ideally one from the supervisor of your Bachelor thesis, letters should be from faculty members or members of research labs).
The criteria listed above will be used to assess the aptitude of the applicant in terms of the academic profile and requirements of the Master’s degree program DSAI. The decision whether the program admission requirements have been met is made by the Examination Board.
2. Fill in the online application form
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered.
- You are responsible for making sure that all required documents, including references, are submitted on time and meet the university’s requirements.
- Complete applications that are received after the deadline will be considered automatically in the decision making round for the next semester.
- Check the documents you submit carefully, as you will not be able to upload revised versions.
- As soon as your application is complete, you will receive a confirmation email!
Required Application Documents
- a copy of your university entrance diploma
- copies of all previous degrees (with certified translation, if the original language is not English or French)
- a certified list of all attended courses with the respective grades, including an explanation of the grading system
- Please do not apply if the CGPA of your bachelor’s degree is under 75%!
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees have the information they need to provide a reference and submit it by the deadline.
- You enter the following information for each of your recommenders: name, address, phone number, institution or employer, title, email address (referee’s institutional or professional email address).
- It is extremely important to enter valid email addresses of your referee! An email will be sent to your recommenders with information on how to proceed. Alternatively, your referees may send us the references in sealed envelopes; under no circumstances may these confidential reports be sent to us by the applicant.
- If a referee has not received their notification email, please ask them to check their junk/spam folders.
- References should be written on institutional or professional letter-headed paper
3. Your application will be evaluated in the admission procedure
After the application deadline, the committee needs a few weeks to evaluate the applications in detail. Please refrain from checking on the status of your application. You will be automatically notified by email when a decision has been made. If you have applied for more than one degree program you will receive a separate decision for each. If you have been admitted to the program, you will need the originals of your documents for enrollment in the Office of Student Affairs. These will be compared to the electronic documents from your application.
After a rejection, a re-application for the same or another master’s degree program of the Computer Science Department at Saarland University will not be accepted.
Due to a large number of applicants, please make sure that you have read the given information carefully before contacting us:
Please use only the following email address for additional information concerning your application: firstname.lastname@example.org