Welcome at the Saarland Informatics Campus
On April 12th, lectures for the summer semester 2021 will start at Saarland University and will again be largely digital. In order to make planning easier for our students, we will organize the lectures and exercises in such a way that our courses of study can be studied completely online. This also applies to the lectures for which classroom exercises are offered. There will also be online exercise groups for this purpose. Further information can be found on the websites of the respective chairs. Only the exams at the end of the lecture period require the presence of our students in any case, since written exams are held in presence. New here?
Due to the exceptional situation, there are many more questions about how studies and teaching will be organized in the coming months. In this overview we will update the most important information in a timely manner. You are also welcome to follow our channels on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, where we will keep you informed about the latest events at SIC.
No matter whether freshman or experienced student: A new semester is always the beginning of something unknown and hence filled with anticipation, expectation and excitement – especially in times of Corona. It is therefore important to the partners at SIC to extend a warm welcome to all students of computer science at our location, despite the restrictions that still apply.
For this purpose, there will be various welcoming events that provide all the information you need for a successful start to the semester. Recordings and presentations of the events will be linked on this page afterwards, so that the information is always available.
- Digital Kickoff: Youtube Video | Information on teaching in SS21 | Course presentation Digital Kickoff
- Welcome-Event for all Bachelor Informatik freshmen: April 12th, 2:30 pm via Zoom with Prof. Dr. Jan Reineke
- Welcome-Event for all Bachelor Computional Linguistics and Master Language Science and Technology freshmen: April 13th, 1:00 pm via Teams with Dr. Stefan Thater
- Welcome-Event for all Bachelor Cyber Security freshmen: April 12th, 2:00 pm via Zoom with Dr. Benjamin Stock
- Welcome-Event for all Bachelor Data Science and Artificial Intelligence freshmen: April 12th, 11:00 am via Zoom with Prof. Jens Dittrich
We are looking forward to welcoming you at these events. Join in!
Regulations regarding teaching and studying
- All courses are offered online throughout the semester. The course programme has not been reduced.
- No personal attendance is required until the examination phase.
- Teaching approaches (live streaming, recordings, …) and teaching platforms (Zoom, MS-Teams, …) may vary between courses. Information can be found on the website of the respective course.
- All courses including links to the respective websites are available in LSF.
- Further information on seminars and available seminar places can also be found here.
- There are still restrictions for entering the libraries. For further information please refer to the websites of the Campus Library of Mathematics and Computer Science and the University Library.
- Books accompanying the lectures will be made available as ebooks.
- You can find all information about university sports here.
For regular updates please also check the websites of the courses you are attending.
Brief insights into our lectures and events
The ‘Lecture Teasers‘ on our YouTube channel will help you create your schedule. The short introduction videos show what will be covered in the upcoming courses.
If you have any questions, please always check the information and related websites listed above first to avoid overwhelming our study coordinators! If you do not find answers to your questions there, please contact the study coordinators by e-mail.
The Department of Computer Science at Saarland University wishes everyone that they stay in good health during the Corona-Situation and that we will soon see each other again as usual at the university.
New at Saarland Informatics Campus?
Starting your studies can be quite exciting. Finding your way around after enrollment is not always easy: To make it easier for you, you will find all the important steps on your way to us here – from enrollment to the start of the semester. The study coordinator, the student council and students from higher semesters are always happy to help you get started and are always open to questions and personal concerns.
On our student Discord server you can get to know your fellow students and exchange ideas with students of higher semesters – even before you have your admission! Whether you want to prepare for your studies, learn together, play, make music or just have a chat – we are here for you!
Every year, students from higher semesters of the Student Council organize the Math Pre-Course and the Student Introduction Period, StEP for short, which helps new students of computer science and related courses to get started in their studies. Highly recommended!
Here you will find all the information you need to start your first semester successfully.
From pre-courses to timetable creation or even tips on student financing and the mentor programs, you will find the informations here:
Finally, you should take a look at our page with information about the current semester. Here you will find all welcome events / kick-off events but also introduction videos for the offered courses.
If you made it this far, nothing can go wrong, we wish you a lot of fun at the Saarland Informatics Campus!