Information on studying during the Covid-19 pandemic
Welcome at the Saarland Informatics Campus
On November 2nd, lectures for the winter semester 2020/2021 will start at Saarland University and will again be largely digital. In order to make planning easier for our students, we will organize the lectures and exercises in such a way that our courses of study can be studied completely online. This also applies to the lectures for which classroom exercises are offered. There will also be online exercise groups for this purpose. Further information can be found on the websites of the respective chairs. Only the exams at the end of the lecture period require the presence of our students in any case, since written exams are held in presence.
Due to the exceptional situation, there are many more questions about how studies and teaching will be organized in the coming months. In this overview we will update the most important information in a timely manner. You are also welcome to follow our channels on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, where we will keep you informed about the latest events at SIC.
No matter whether freshman or experienced student: A new semester is always the beginning of something unknown and hence filled with anticipation, expectation and excitement – especially in times of Corona. It is therefore important to the partners at SIC to extend a warm welcome to all students of computer science at our location, despite the restrictions that still apply.
For this purpose, there will be various welcoming events that provide all the information you need for a successful start to the semester. Recordings and presentations of the events will be linked on this page afterwards, so that the information is always available.
- Due to the current rise in corona infections, the on campus event for bachelor students in their first semester on Oct. 26th has to be cancelled. There will be online welcoming events instead. Links and event-dates can be found here.
- Digital Kickoff: Youtube Video, Information on teaching in WS2020/21, Course presentation Digital Kickoff
- From Oct. 28th to Oct. 30th, everyday starting live from 12:30 p.m. the Computer Science Students’ Representative Council will host its virtual live orientation event StEP. The Bachelor-StEP is also aimed at first-year students. Here you will be welcomed by experienced students and teachers and receive comprehensive information on course questions, organizational matters and freetime activities. Above all, you can get to know other students!
- Master-StEP: Welcome presentation
We are looking forward to welcoming you at these events. Join in!
Regulations regarding teaching and studying
- All SIC courses are offered online throughout the semester. The course programme has not been reduced.
- No personal attendance is required until the examination phase.
- Teaching approaches (live streaming, recordings, …) and teaching platforms (Zoom, MS-Teams, …) may vary between courses. Information can be found on the website of the respective course.
- All courses including links to the respective websites are available in LSF.
- Further information on seminars and available seminar places can also be found here.
- There are still restrictions for entering the libraries. For further information please refer to the websites of the Campus Library of Mathematics and Computer Science and the University Library.
- Books accompanying the lectures will be made available as ebooks.
- You can find all information about university sports here.
For regular updates please also check the websites of the courses you are attending.
If you have any questions, please always check the information and related websites listed above first to avoid overwhelming our study coordinators! If you do not find answers to your questions there, please contact the study coordinators by e-mail.
The Department of Computer Science at Saarland University wishes everyone that they stay in good health during the Corona-Situation and that we will soon see each other again as usual at the university.